Shpongle?

Are they still a thing?

Have they become a parody of themselves yet?

Have they got a new album out soon? I noticed they were playing in the autumn - or Simon Posford was doing a DJ set as Shpongle anyway. I'd have been quite tempted if it was the full live band.

Havent listend to any of their recent stuff, so cannot comment - but they seem to be doing good business in the states (where self-paraody isn't really a thing...)

ive always seen them as the Muse of the psy scene.

I gave up on them after their second album (i liked both their 1st and 2nd albums) cos their third album was the perfect example of Fisher Price safety scissor psychedelia (which is my nemesis)

I wonder what they sound like now? However im more than happy to leave that as a rhetorical question as i really dont want to have to go through finding out what they sound like now. My guess would be that they still sound exactly the same as their third album.

their last sounded a little tired i thought (a bit half hearted perhaps) but it had some really nice tekky moments

tales of the inexpressible is my fav and though i thought nothing lasts was incredibly inventive and bursting with life, very celebratory

Any ideas when the album is out?

I don't think there will be much full band gigs. I heard it costs close to 100k to get them all together

their last sounded a little tired i thought (a bit half hearted perhaps) but it had some really nice tekky moments

tales of the inexpressible is my fav and though i thought nothing lasts was incredibly inventive and bursting with life, very celebratory

their first album is by far the best, imo.

their first album is by far the best, imo.

i honestly don't get why people think it is, it's very good for sure but i always thought the tales of the inexpressible was really the magical flowering and that the first album was a formative prelude to it

Any ideas when the album is out?

I don't think there will be much full band gigs. I heard it costs close to 100k to get them all together

Blimey! I'm not surprised they don't do many UK gigs. I'm not sure where in the world they'd actually get paid that

i honestly don't get why people think it is, it's very good for sure but i always thought the tales of the inexpressible was really the magical flowering and that the first album was a formative prelude to it

There is the budding of (imo) what i grew to not like in shpongle in inexpressible. Its there, but not totally fouling the album as i can still enjoy it . There is (imo) none of that in the first album. Its unique.

Though technically inferior in production terms to Tales of the Inexpressible, the first Shpongle album retains a loyal following. Discuss.

Though technically inferior in production terms to Tales of the Inexpressible, the first Shpongle album retains a loyal following. Discuss.

ideas come first.

Production is the thing you worry about when you start running out of ideas

ideas come first.

Production is the thing you worry about when you start running out of ideas

True enough but I don't think it applies in this case. Tales of is dripppng with ideas and inventiveness but it also sounds amazing.

There's a lot of electronic music these days which sounds pretty good but is emptily convincing.

If it came out in the 90s then you have to let the production slide a little, i reckon. Especially if you are judging it with todays ears.

There is a good quote from Optical (from the dnb duo ed rush & optical) who wished the 90s style of production was still the case as he much prefers the deeper, richer, yet quieter analogue sound over the compressed yet loud digital sound of the 00s. Its one of the reasons that modular caper is taking off again. Its a hark back to the 90s.

yet again, dont get me wrong though. I like Tales of the Inexp

i played my brother the first track from Tales of and he said it just sounds like someone fucking around in a computer

i think that maybe sums up what you;re saying?

Back