Bitwig DAW Whats all this then?

Truth is there comes a point where you have to release, refinance or plain well stop paying developers.

They've been developing it a while - suspect if refinancing had already happened then the might have had their hand forced about release.

Truth is there comes a point where you have to release, refinance or plain well stop paying developers.

They've been developing it a while - suspect if refinancing had already happened then the might have had their hand forced about release.

Yeah, I suspected that. I don't know a lot about software development but I do know it's not as simple as most people assume.

It's worth remembering that the first couple of versions of Ableton were effectively tarted-up loop players with some decent effects (and a quite tasty audio engine for the time) - I think it took until at least version 4 or 5 for it to really come into its own.

J.

Yes, Live v1.0 had a lot less in it - no midi whatsoever. But back then, being able to trigger clips of audio that accurately was amazing enough. Bitwig's big problem is that their thing is virtually reverse-engineered from Ableton Live and so comparisons to Live 9 are inevitable and don't really do it any favours.

Like with anything else, the bells and whistles mean nothing if the basics are not working properly. If I buy a car, the powered soft-top isn't going to distract me from the intermittently functioning brakes.

Point taken - though I thought it was more a case of former Ableton devs forming a new firm and building it from the ground up, based on their existing knowledge, rather than strictly "reverse engineering". You're absolutely correct in terms of the fundamental things having to be "right", but on the other hand the fact is that they're going for a far more technically complex initial product than Ableton were in 2001. That said, how many times have you bitched about "Steinbug" in the past before they seem to finally have got it right in your estimation? *ersatz smiley*

I think the different way we see things - coming at them from slightly different backgrounds in terms of electronic music, with you being a more traditional studio wizard and me a spoddy computer nerd who tried to make music as a kid - is interesting though. Triggering samples (albeit short ones) accurately was something I'd been doing since my tracker days on the Amiga, so Ableton to me looked more like a fancy version of what I considered normal - whereas I found the whole VST/softsynth aspect, and particularly the exponential jump in audio quality they achieved in just a few years, to be more impressive.

J.

Yeah, I bypassed the whole tracker thing. Before Cubase/Creator on Atari ST, I thought that sound coming out of computers was an appalling idea which would never catch on. It all sounded like Nintendo platform games to me and nobody ever did heroin to that.

Testing the very first ever VSTi - Steinberg's 'Neon' - didn't change my mind either. I think NI Pro-52 was the first inkling that it might possibly catch on, although the tiny GUI made it feel exactly like you were programming a real Prophet 5 through the letterbox with knitting needles.

I understand why Bitwig is a bit of a dog's dinner and I hope they manage to catch up with basic customer expectations because regardless of how limited it currently is, it is inspiring in all the ways that Live is irritating. The tune i started on it as a tester is currently accruing layers at an impressive rate and sounds like a winner.

But there is no way you could call this 'from the ground up'. The phrase 'on giants' shoulders' springs to mind because they definitely haven't re-invented the wheel. It's Ableton 3 with the screen laid out properly [i.e. left to right] and a rather addictive internal modulation routing paradigm. That alone is worth the price of admission because it encourages you to make sounds which move and morph and the whole thing ends up sounding quite rich and animated.

I just wish I could link faders together, monitor what I'm bouncing, zoom into sampler waveforms, slow the LFOs down by another decimal place, audition sampler zones with the mouse, quantise audio, send fx channels back to themselves, etc, etc...

But there is no way you could call this 'from the ground up'. The phrase 'on giants' shoulders' springs to mind because they definitely haven't re-invented the wheel. It's Ableton 3 with the screen laid out properly [i.e. left to right]...

If one were feeling more charitable, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" could apply there as well. It follows that if you have a new DAW being written by a crew of former Ableton guys, then the end result - at least initially - is going to resemble their previous work to some extent (see also : PreSonus StudioOne, which was started by a bunch of ex-Steinberg folks including the original developer of Nuendo).

Seth may very well have a point re: publisher-enforced release earlier than the devs hoped for - it wouldn't be the first time!

Also, on a tangent re: computer music in the early days - there was a very interesting interview with Bob Yannes (inventor of the C64 SID and later founder of Ensoniq) in the "Commodore : A Company On The Edge" book in which he said that the main problem with early computer sound chips was that they weren't designed by musicians. SID was a significant improvement on anything that came before in terms of musicality, despite being made to a tight budget and deadline (I'll bore you with that tale when I see you next if you like).

J.

Bitwig is coded by team including the dude that made Vember Surge - which is defo a good sign.

^i heard that aswell, the modulation system bitwig has is really similar to SURGE.

no one really talks about surge much but its great for crazy rising sounds and plenty more, you can modulate plenty of parameters really fast and precisely

Bitwig guys are on fire! 1.0.8 changelog has some "NEW" entries too! tasty.

Hi, we just released the first release candidate for version 1.0.8. You can download it at http://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio/release_candidate.html.

Here is the list of changes since 1.0.7:
NEW - Automatically backup the state of plugins every minute when the engine is not playing
NEW - MIDI file export.
IMPROVED - Importing type-0 MIDI files should split events into different tracks based on MIDI channels.
IMPROVED - Importing MIDI file should consider track name metadata.
IMPROVED - Importing MIDI file should consider tempo meta events.
IMPROVED - Allow to adjust note length and velocity when inserting notes via double click and drag.
IMPROVED - Allow velocity adjustment when drawing notes using pencil tool by dragging vertically.
IMPROVED - Audition notes when clicking on them (if enabled).
IMPROVED - Avoid note start jumping when using note pencil tool.
IMPROVED - Remember last note length when using pencil tool for notes.
IMPROVED - Improved efficiency of monitoring library locations when new files are copied or deleted from library locations.
IMPROVED - Audition notes (if enabled) when adjusting note velocity.
IMPROVED - Change the minimum LFO rate in various devices to 0.01Hz and minimum synced rate to 32/1
IMPROVED - Better VST keyboard handling on windows
IMPROVED - Normal sustain pedal behavior
FIXED - Bouncing sometimes missed notes if it was started at the exact same location as the transport last stopped
FIXED - device controller mappings didn't reload correctly after saving them
FIXED - Split at onset wasn't limited to the range of the selected event(s)
FIXED - PDC for meters & automation limited to 32768 samples
FIXED - Graphical glitch in note expressions
FIXED - Crash when reversing very long files
FIXED - Saving a clip with a device containing a layer device in a slot would crash
FIXED - Novation Launchpad does not work on Linux.
FIXED - Saving a preset for a modified plugin device then saving the project would not save the state of the plugin in the project folder causing it to be missing if the application was quit and restarted
FIXED - Crash when saving plugin state for a plugin that is no longer in the document
FIXED - Removing a directory under a library location that started with the same name as another directory alongside it would remove indexed information for the other directory too
FIXED - Dragging note or audio event start can result in overlapping notes.
FIXED - Changing velocity in piano roll editor via Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+Drag should also work when the target note is not selected yet.
FIXED - Stretching audio events might result in overlapping events.
FIXED - Crash when splitting at onsets, then quantising to wider grid than event lengths, then dragging event start.
FIXED - Random crash when tooltip hides on Mac OS X.
FIXED - Rare crash when double-clicking on clip in clip-launcher to show its contents.
FIXED - Crash when moving clip from effect to non-empty master track.

Hope you enjoy this release!
All the best,
Volker

funny they should name it as a play on the word bigwig.
apparently powdered wigs were first used to treat baldness from rampant syphilis.
shortly after balding king louis XIV made large wigs popular with the aristocracy.
if you were richer you could afford a larger wig...

thnx vsauce:cop:

i found the changelog at the KVR bigwig subforum, its the official one for now

(Ableton crashes for me probably 30% of sessions - always with 3rd party plug-ins - on 2 different set-ups. Bitwig so far seems rock solid even with a stack of 3rd party stuff. Sounds fine to me so far and I really like modulation options)

IMPROVED - Change the minimum LFO rate in various devices to 0.01Hz and minimum synced rate to 32/1

That's my one! i asked them for that.

I told them I was a minor-league pop-star and they said they knew and liked my stuff.

They sent me a free licence and I've been using it intensively and sending them detailed feedback.

I feels all important...

Heh. I don't think anybody would aim so low as to pretend to be me.

It's a nice feeling to be influencing the development of something like this. They're small enough to be responsive - I get personal responses to my emails - and you can feel the enthusiasm fizzing out of them when they write.

Back