Jazz appreciation thread

This one?

Yea I know what you mean. I think vocals could work with it, but I think it needs something far more grisly and tortured. Also a whole album collaboration with someone who can do with lyrics what they can do with their instruments, not just a one track affair. Someone like Scott Walker maybe?

Some nice choons on here!

Love the gypsy jazz stuff ala Django/Grapelli and the classics like Miles Davis, John Coltrane etc

Also like the fusions!

Heh was just listening to that Ben Leinbach thinking ooh that does sound like Bohren until I realised four minutes in that they were still playing in another tab :p Sounds good though I'll check it.

I love this live performance:

Anyone know what that instrument at 1:37 is? Looks like a cheese grater being brushed with a tiny rake? Sounds like a shaker but more controlled. Want!

Glad to hear there are some other fans out there! Bohren are one of those bands that have crept quietly into my life and taken residence in some dusty corner of my library, ready to rear up at the faintest sign of melancholy. I think I've developed a bit of an obsession... I'm basically glowing with envy that you saw them live Bacchanal! Which festival was this?

Roadburn festival in Holland. It's mostly heavy rock, psych, doom and stoner type stuff, but they've booked Bohren twice now.
First year they played about 4 in the afternoon on a huge great stage and I thought they were good but was totally the wrong time and place. Next year they were back with a closing slot and more intimate setting and were brilliant.
The main stage set is available to stream here: http://www.roadburn.com/audio-streams/2009-audio-streams/ but sadly they don't seem to have recorded the 2010 performance.

Best with no vocals for me, more space to dream.

Ahhh Jazz, one of my old favourites since I started listening to music.
It can be deep and intense, trippy and psychedelic too. Melanconic or funny.. you get all shades.
I have a good collection of classics from the early developments up to modern stuff.
Not particuarly fond of fusion apart some exceptions.

I'll post some stuff later.

Never heard of Bohren before, I quite like them, glad this came up. It was about time we shared some Jazz in here :Smile3:

Revolution Void

bliss when the sax drops in...​

some fine freeform electronica.​

Roadburn festival in Holland. It's mostly heavy rock, psych, doom and stoner type stuff, but they've booked Bohren twice now.
First year they played about 4 in the afternoon on a huge great stage and I thought they were good but was totally the wrong time and place. Next year they were back with a closing slot and more intimate setting and were brilliant.
The main stage set is available to stream here: http://www.roadburn.com/audio-streams/2009-audio-streams/ but sadly they don't seem to have recorded the 2010 performance.

Best with no vocals for me, more space to dream.

Nice, just had a peak at the website for 2012 and there's some good stuff on the line up (Barn Owl!), I shall be having a think about going this year... never actually been to this sort of festival, might make a nice change.

Hey guys,

Would defo agree with Buchannal on the term Jazz can be interpreted in many different ways and like any music genre these days, their is so many sub genres or contrasting genres which fit into multiple categories.

Anyway i discovered this cool Gypsy Jazz band the other week and thought a few of you above would appreciate it.
They are called Antun Opic.

This song has been stuck in my head the last week, i'm a big fan of the Brass parts personally.

However you can find loads more of their tracks and entertaining videos here if you wish:
http://www.youtube.com/user/antun82?feature=watch

A lot of (good) old stuffs in this thread, here's something fresh.
Ladies and gents, the amazing Hiromi:

keyboardist Kaidi Tatham has been picked by Mixmaster Morris as this generation's Herbie Hancock

in terms of Classics - it really opened my musical ears finding this album and chasing associated artists...

15320.jpg

a personal fave is Lonnie Liston Smith:

Flanger is an artist picked out by Simon Posford as recent inspiration:

Back