Music that doesn't fit anywhere else...

truly an exceptional score

^
Now that is some sweet sweet music.
:turtle::frolic::turtle:

:Smile3:
Jean Jacques Perrey was a musical genius (and synthesizer pioneer as it seems), the more i listen to his work the more im amazed

check this

Sponsored by aspirin, host walks on with a fag. Get on THAT.

So, Actress. Thoughts?

What with the new record R.I.P just out I have been reading alot about him lately, and been trying to explore the backcatalogue a fair bit, as I like alot of the thought process and philosophy behind his music (he sounds like a really interesting dude)

I kind of like the fact that his music is so challenging, but still not sure I understand it, to the point im not even sure I like it...

Hey,
I am not sure either, from what I have listened it doesn't really do anything for me, but I haven't explored much I have to admit.
Didn't know about the conceptual background either (for that I like Terre Thaemlitz, who is incidentally one of my favourite ambient producers!)

I really like R.I.P. Wasn't so fussed with his previous albums bar a few tracks, but this one I think benefits from being even more abstract, with the house aspect remaining fairly submerged throughout. Gives all that analogue fuzz a bit of space. Weird headspace required for listening certainly!

For the benefit of anyone who has no idea who we're on about here's a few tracks:

Its a funny one, as Ive found that the more housey stuff off Splazsh connects with me better than the more ambient stuff of the new LP. Which is funny as ive never been a huge fan of house and yet love alot of experimental ambient music, but there is something about his soundscapes which just dont sit well with me, I find it all terribly claustraphobic but not in a good way....but then maybe thats the point...

I guess maybe lots of ambient is very reverb heavy and spacey, whereas the less beatful Actress pieces aren't really like that. Could be what makes it feel claustrophobic? Dunno really. Actually I've just been listening to R.I.P again and I think what I like about it is that it is, despite rarely having any percussion of note, still very much a house album. It's the house genre, stripped back so far it doesn't even have any drums left, just synths and crackle jumping in a house-like manner. Really quite keen actually.

Its a funny one, as Ive found that the more housey stuff off Splazsh connects with me better than the more ambient stuff of the new LP. Which is funny as ive never been a huge fan of house and yet love alot of experimental ambient music, but there is something about his soundscapes which just dont sit well with me, I find it all terribly claustraphobic but not in a good way....but then maybe thats the point...

weird you say that, considering you enjoy Andy Stott!!

ahah fair enough.

By the way, for the last three months at least, I've been in love with COH (to be read "son") Strings,in theory this should go under the generic label of "glitch", but it surely lacks a lot of the self indulgence that you can find in the genre, it's very very elegant, and it manages to be very atmospheric using almost no tonal elements.
I love it.

3623074.jpg

Just tranced myself out a good 'un washing the pots and listening to this.

Back