Quality electronica

YES^ shame they never reached that level again imo

On a not so different note, I think with this one BoC reached a peak I can't even

You're right, I don't think Plaid did really go beyond that album. Though that album didn't go beyond their work 'Spanners' as The Black Dog - my favourite electronic album of the 90s (well, that or 'Music Has The Rights to Children' or the other 5 I could name).

BoC, ahh I know exactly the feeling of being lost for words on that song. I feel like they had an almost imperceptible decline up from that album through the excellent Geogaddi until about the 5th song of 'Campfire Headphase', before a very sudden drop off in quality.

<- Up there with the best of their releases.

Bought to me by John Peel in 1996, nice to see that Fuxa are still active after all this time... From 2013...

The tune from '96 that first got me, from the album "Three Field Rotation"...

Last edited:
"Plaid: the thinking man's Orbital" quipped mixmaster morris. See also Black Dog and all the other names like Balil

I really rate the beats on some of their early stuff and it's great how they explore such a range of timbres with their melodies

this track was picked by Beats in Space podcast compilation CD - in amongst nudisco/house dancefloor tunes

Ed & Andy made music with Spacetime Continuum (Jonah Sharpe) too - this is sometimes my fave ever track

really varied range of music they make eh. I think they were part of Bjork's touring band - vespertime era?

there's a cracking double comp of them remixing too

I gave Scintilli a listen again as a result of this discussion. Certainly some good stuff on there, especially:

but also...

Without wanting to detract from the greatness of the Plaid chat above, this deserves a post....:

Anodyne's Empires E.P. is really good. Anodyne is one of my favourite Techno/Breakbeat/Dark IDM artists and his 2010 album Corrosion has been one of my favourites for a long time. Just discovered the Empires E.P. and it's great:

^^ thats good stuff.

this squarepusher tune recently tweaked me out a bit - bleddy ansum innit bey

Without wanting to detract from the greatness of the Plaid chat above, this deserves a post....:

No fucking way, I love that album!!! I first heard it at a friend's house and in the ten years since, she is still the only other person I've ever met that's got any idea who/what it is. We are a rare breed, sir. :Grin: I was always partial to Too Stoned To Mix.

I also really like this one from The Follow Up EP.

^^ thats good stuff.

If you like that EP definitely check out his 2010 album Corrosion. As I mentioned it's one of my favourite albums. It is pretty much the only IDM album I have ever seen on Psyshop.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/psn/psn1cd035.html

Plaid did a remix of one of the track from the Empires E.P. So did Dead Fader.

It's exciting stuff. This is one of the best tracks from Corrosion:

Autechre did a remix of it.

No fucking way, I love that album!!! I first heard it at a friend's house and in the ten years since, she is still the only other person I've ever met that's got any idea who/what it is. We are a rare breed, sir. :Grin: I was always partial to Too Stoned To Mix.

Yeah, great track too! Didn't realise us lovers of this album were such a rare breed.

I assume a fair few more will know this one:

...which I tend to think of as being in a similar category to the Sound Clash Republic album (ie, fucking amazing music from the early-mid 90s).

Yeah, great track too! Didn't realise us lovers of this album were such a rare breed.
Yeah, as I say, except for the person in whose house I first heard it, I've never met anyone else who's even heard of Soundclash Republic let alone is a fan. I wasn't familiar myself until the early-mid naughties (I came to the dance music party quite late in general) but it always surprised me that none of the Goa/psy peeps had heard of it either, being very proto- in places in addition to all the pseudo-mystical/wreckhead references. ANYWAY. I played the whole thing through after reading your post as it had been a while. Put a proper smile on my face, it did, so thanks for the reminder!

Glad I could be of service :Grin:

I think I would have been, um, 2 or 3 years old when that album came out :oops:. So maybe discovering it a couple of years ago is coming in a bit late too! I can't believe goa/psy fans don't know it - like you say, it seems ripe for the crowd.

Back