Tracks with GREAT intros

Doesn't have to be ambient in ambient out. It can be dramatic, funny, emotional.... basically it can be the the most musical moments of your track should you want it to be freed up from having to be carried by a driving beat the continuity can be anything you wish.

Doesn't have to be ambient in ambient out......... freed up from having to be carried by a driving beat the continuity can be anything you wish.

Id say the second part of this describes ambient quite well.

Not sure about linking it to your first part though?

Some of the most driving nasty squelchy mothers ive ever heard have been without a beat. Id would stick my neck out and say that it was ambient. Ambient doesnt have to mean mellow, all it means it this respect is without a beat.

Last edited:
Id say the second part of this describes ambient quite well.

Not sure about linking it to your first part though?

Some of the most driving nasty squelchy mothers ive ever heard have been without a beat. Id would stick my neck out and say that it was ambient. Ambient doesnt have to mean mellow, all it means it this respect is without a beat.

You can have a beat a rhythm driven intro. I'm refer to ambient as it is described by the man who coined the phrase."as ignorable as it is interesting" a type of music which the listener can as easily ignore as engage with and derive the same amount of pleasure from in both stances rather than simply meaning beat-less music which as we know isn't the case for many ambient tracks wich feature a drum rhythm. An intro can have beats, drama, atmosphere and doesn't have to be confined to being 'ambient' any more than it needs to be confined to being beat driven or having comedy duck calls in it.
Also with respect most ambient music has a beat or pulse which can be described with a time signature so to say it's beatless is not strictly correct.

Last edited:
Sounds confusing

From that Eno seems to be just describing music in general. Im trying to make a distinction tween ambient, downtempo/chillout in one tent and electronica/techno and noise in another.

If i went to a night billed as ambient and i heard a recognizable percussive beat, id ask for a free drink at the bar in compensation. You obviously wouldnt be able to claim that free drink. I may share mine with you, but it would come at a cost.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned with genre, to say it goes genre A followed by genre B followed again by genre A seems formulaic nonsense

"adjective: ambient
relating to the immediate surroundings of something"

It's music written with the intention that you can engage with it as music or as if t were the ambient natural sounds of a place, as you could choose to consider rain or bird song as music. This is not really same as background music, sticking on some miles Davis whilst you cook a meal does not make it ambient music as it was not written for that intention although you can choose to listen to it in that form. But we're getting away from the point. Intros and outros to a tune are not one specific genre IMHO.
Sounds confusing

Im trying to make a distinction tween ambient, downtempo/chillout in one tent and electronica/techno and noise in another.
Why?
Are you planning to go to one tent for your intros and another for the body of the track and then back to the first tent for the outro? Sounds knackering. No wonder you need that drink mate.

I dont know, some people say that they feel the warmth of human contact when they chat.

159668485.jpg

Back