Music that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Not the first time you've heard that version, surely...?

It is the first time, so thank you. I only really know Liz Fraser through one particular Cocteau Twins album (Heaven or Las Vegas), the 12" of Song to the Siren, which was a random teenage purchase recommended by my goth mate Claire, amd of course FSOL.
This tune brings together a few strands of my musical adventure, which is just beautiful!

My favourite recording of all time bar none, that is. :wub::cry::wub: Too beautiful for words. Have posted the following live version before, but I hope you'll indulge me in doing so again, as it's an effortlessly gorgeous performance and always bears repeating in my opinion. Even the gentle Scottish twang on the word "not" just totally kills me, man, arggghhh! Love her, love the song, lovelovelovelovelovelovelove.

I'm gonna save that for when I get home from work, or I'll start blubbing, and then it won't take much to set me off again, so I'll be on a blubbing hair-trigger with my afternoon students. I've already shared one blub too many with a student this term! (she came in to see me after having to have her dog put down the night before :cry:Smile3:. But yes. Liz Fraser. Goosebumps.

It is the first time, so thank you. I only really know Liz Fraser through one particular Cocteau Twins album (Heaven or Las Vegas), the 12" of Song to the Siren, which was a random teenage purchase recommended by my goth mate Claire, amd of course FSOL.
This tune brings together a few strands of my musical adventure, which is just beautiful!

Wow, I am agog, but utterly delighted for you. I love it when stuff like that happens. Isn't music brilliant? In contrast, her version of Another Day led me to discover Roy, also why I would have been an absolute basket case if I'd made it to that performance you saw of his with Joanna where they sung it together and his voice cracked. Totally recommend the Cocteau Twins' album Treasure if you're digging her TMC stuff. It's...well...otherworldly.

I'm gonna save that for when I get home from work, or I'll start blubbing, and then it won't take much to set me off again, so I'll be on a blubbing hair-trigger with my afternoon students. I've already shared one blub too many with a student this term! (she came in to see me after having to have her dog put down the night before :cry:Smile3:. But yes. Liz Fraser. Goosebumps.

If your blubbing hair-trigger is owt like mine, then yeah, that's probably a wise move. Still amazes me that she's only about nineteen in that clip. When you're free to bubble at will, I do hope you enjoy it.

In other news, what a nice man you are, Bez. :Smile3:

Oi!!!!!
far from any sort of romanticism, and in the direction of pure isolationism, lately i've been enjoying the work of Andy Stott, that is loosely connected with deep techno/deep house, but frankly I think it has a lot to do with some ambient a la' Basinksy (Disintegration tapes) as much, certainly a dancefloor it's not the first thing that springs to my mind listening to this, but I find an amniotic quality to his productions, it's like techno sunk in a pond of asphalt, I really really like it. But maybe I have issues!!!!!

In some tracks there may be a Burial influence

Yes! Andy Stott is fantastic - I love this stuff! There's quite a lot of interesting things going on in the world of reduced and industrial techno at the moment, I'll try and dig out some others tomorrow. Good shout!

Just rediscovered Russian Circles, having not heard them for years - their sound is still magical, icy, dreamy, defiantly music to get lost in...

Not picked out favs from the new album yet but this is my old fav

Interesting track Mibes, are they completely without vocals? There's some quite jazz-like drumming in there as well, catches you off guard a little!

An offering from me: Lukid. I love this guy! One of the more interesting lo-fi operators who emerged in second half of the naughties. Super-chilled in a click clack sort of way :chilling:

RE: Andy Stott

I was actually on my way to dump him in this thread, I bought the album on the back of it being on pretty much everybodies end of 2011 list and on first listen (on the boys crappy stereo I might add) I was really unsure, but having given it some proper time on the old studio monitors i totally fell for it, INCREDIBLE STUFF!!! :nod::nod::nod:

nice cut up wizardry that lucid one!!

hum, another italian band, Ephel duath, the album the Painter's palette it had several heads scratching, a lot of jazz influence there, theorically they fall into metal.

that is a beautiful album, it deserves to be heard with full audio quality!!!

Right - this thread needs more Andy Stott tunes :Grin:

My two favs off Passed Me By:

Interesting track Mibes, are they completely without vocals? There's some quite jazz-like drumming in there as well, catches you off guard a little!

totally vocal free, i like that ya'kno. everyone has got something to say.

[edit] and yah the drumming is key to their sound, quite unique. Also that post-verb clipping/destortion on the geetar. unconverntional

Btw, since we are talking echo, i think nicole Jaar deserves a mention as well, his last album was one of the highlights of 2011, and it certainly is transversal enough to my ears to be included in this thread..
This is one of my favourite track of his!

lots of burial-esque sounds kihrjil, that popping sound is pretty 'fashion' atm but I do love it, kimbi is a master with it too

In terms of experimental electronic vibes this track is about as big an inspiration for me as anything. Been around for a while now, masterpiece

lots of burial-esque sounds kihrjil, that popping sound is pretty 'fashion' atm but I do love it, kimbi is a master with it too

Yea there's a lot about these days, much of it mediocre. I'm an unashamed lo-fi whore though! Hmmm tape hiss... yea Burial definitely has a lot to answer for, Flying Lotus as well.

I am afraid Skrillex is more around than Burial at the moment :/

Oh and this vintage cat!!! Early AIDS casualty that was.
Most of his output isn't that great but sometimes he would come up with very nice stuff, plus he had a certain style eh

it seems i cant get youtube to work at the moment, but the album 'You Follow Me' by nina nastasia & jim white is great.

It consists of soft acoustic folk, backed by free form jazz style drumming from jim white. A bit marmite, and a bit odd, so i thought id stick it in here & see what happens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Follow_Me

Back